It starts innocently enough: drinks with friends from work or a glass of wine at family occasions. In the United States, alcohol is easy to buy at almost any grocery store, gas station and restaurant. Our culture includes the use of alcohol at celebrations, casual meals and even during times of grief. It’s not surprising that more than 15 million American adults struggle with alcohol addiction. In the U.S., there are six deaths each day due to alcohol poisoning. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, in 2019, there were 812 drivers arrested for DUI and 886 deaths due to intoxicated drivers. If you think you’ve moved from social drinking into a situation where you can’t stop, you need to know the effects of alcohol.
Fight Alcohol Addiction
Signs and Effects of Alcohol Addiction
To determine if you need help managing your alcohol consumption, consider these common side effects and signs of alcohol addiction:
- Binge drinking
- For women, binge drinking is more than four drinks in two hours.
- For men, it’s more than five drinks in two hours.
- Decreased inhibitions
- Problems with balance
- Unable to maintain employment or getting fired from a job
- Unable to maintain employment
- Drinking alone or hiding how much you’re drinking
- Unable to stop drinking when you try
- Withdrawal symptoms when you stop drinking, such as nausea, sweating and shaking
- Arguments with loved ones over alcohol use
- Always either drinking or hungover
- Legal trouble, such as a DUI
Alcohol addiction has serious physical and emotional consequences that can leave a mark throughout a lifetime. When you abuse alcohol, it can become the most important thing in your life, and you risk missing out on loving family relationships, joyous events and getting the job of your dreams. It also affects more than the person who drinks; it can affect the entire family and your circle of friends.
Treatment Is Available at New Hope Ranch Near Austin, TX
While it may seem impossible to stop drinking, it isn’t. You can find care, comfort and treatment for yourself or a loved one to finally conquer alcohol addiction. When you or someone you love struggles with alcohol or finds themselves charged with a drinking-related offense, you can find help. At New Hope Ranch, located right outside of Austin, we will tailor a program to meet your needs and help you become successful in managing a life free from the grips of alcohol.